This is Hat Yai International Airport, around 25 minutes drive from Hat Yai town.
This is the e version of the tourist map that they normally give out at the hotels >> Map of Hat Yai Town
Easiest way to get here is by taxi. A cab from Hat Yai town will cost you around THB 250- 300. you can order a cab from any hotel reception or usually they will wait outside Lee Garden Plaza.
There is a local Sawngteaw that runs past the Airport. They will stop just outside the airport. You will need to walk in which is like around 300 m. Cost around THB 50. There is also an express van airport transfer for THB 150. The office is in Thanon Niphat Uthit 1 . Next to the Thai airways office.
The express vans from the Airport to Hat Yai town is very often (You can buy a ticket from the counter which is just outside the arrival gate) This is a very reliable, fast and cheaper alternative to the taxi. Van’s from Hat Yai town to Airport, there is a fixed time. You have to check at their office.
The food here in the Airport are like in most Airports. EXPENSIVE. There are 4 cafes downstairs and 2 upstairs.
This is another sweep panorama shot of what you will expect at the Hatyai International Airport
For our Muslim friends: be careful to check if the food here are Halal. We know the Kopi Tiam here serves pork.
This airport has ATM machines. It is more convenient because if you are backpacking to the Islands of Koh Lipe or around Trang, there are not many ATM machines or banks.
If you are flying international, you will need to go use the international departure gate which is at the other end of the second floor.
You will need to scan your hand carry and go through customs and immigration.
For tourists, there is a VAT tax refund counter inside.
Information on the VAT refund
A VAT refund can be claimed by any non-Thai visitor who
• is not a crew member of an airline;
• departs Thailand by air carrier from an international airport.
How to claim a VAT refund?
1. VAT refund only applies to goods taken out of Thailand within 60 days from the date of purchase.
2. The goods must be purchased from stores displaying the “VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS” sign.
3. On any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.
4. On the purchasing day, present your passport and ask the sales assistant at the store to complete the VAT Refund Application for Tourist form (P.P. 10) and attach the original tax invoices to the form. Each application form (P.P. 10) must show a value of 2,000 baht or more.
5. Before departure, present your goods and submit the VAT Refund Application for tourists (P.P.10) form and original tax invoices to the Customs officers for inspection before check-in.
6. Valuable goods, such as jewelry, gold ornaments, watches, glasses, or pens must once more be inspected by the Revenue officers at the VAT refund office at the departure lounge after passport control.
7. You can either present your claim to Revenue officers or drop it into the box at the Refund Counter or mail from your home back to the Revenue Department of Thailand.
How will the refund be paid?
You can choose to receive your refund by
Refund method (You must specify the method of receiving the refund on your form (P.P.10).)
not exceeding 30,000 baht -cash in Thai baht, draft, credit to credit card account
exceeding 30,000 baht – draft, credit to credit card account
The following fees apply to refund requests
• For cash refund, a fee of 100 baht.
• For draft refund, a fee of 100 baht plus draft issuing fee at the rate charged by banks, and postage.
• For credit to credit card account refund, a fee of 100 baht plus money transfer fee at the rate charged by banks, and postage.
You cannot claim VAT refunds for the following goods:
• prohibited items
• firearms, explosives or any similar items
• Allow yourself adequate time at the airport for the refund process.
• In case your request for refund by draft or credit to credit card account receives no reply within an appropriate period of time, please contact the
The VAT Refund for Tourist Office, Revenue Department,
Phahon Yothin Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand.
Tel: 0 2272 9384 to 5, 0 2272 8198 Fax: 0 2617 3559
Inside the Departure lounge, there is free drinking water and toilets.
The seats are comfortable and can be used to sleep.
For more useful travel backpacking information visit us at www.backpackies.com
Or join our crazy travel fun loving group at Backpackies is on facebook
Have a safe and fun trip from all of us at backpackies